Friday, December 27, 2013

5 year plan -no. 19- read at least 100 books total

This is one of those goals that should not be hard at all for me but probably will. Reading 100 books (of my choice by the way) in the next 5 years sounds reasonable. When I was a little younger I would devour books like candy until the rest of my life got in the way. Now for whatever reason I have a hard time concentrating when I read or carving out the time to do it in the first place, even though I really do enjoy it!

Shortly after I made my goal list I came across this post at the blog Freda's Voice. It's a post encouraging others to participate in a 100 books year challenge.

So I've decided to go for it and do my best to read 100 books in the year 2014. I'm going to link over to the post as a participant and I encourage others to do the same. I think it will be good for me as reading is not only good for my intellectual mind but my soul as well.
This post will be my link back to keep track of the books I have read/am reading. Wish me luck!

Books Read:
1.) Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm by Kate Douglas Wiggin

2, 3, 4.) The Hunger Games, Catching Fire and Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
I've been wanting to read these books forever. I love the first two movies so I knew I'd like the books even more. Loved, loved, loved them except.....very disappointed with the ending to the 3rd book. Without giving a total spoiler alert I will just say the "happy ending" was not nearly as happy as it should have been. You could have done anything with this book Suzanne, why did you have to end it in such a 'real-life' way. I was horribly depressed the whole next day after finishing it.

5, 6, 7, 8.) Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse, and Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer.
I was actually not super impressed by the movies but after reading the books and really liking them I watched the movies again and this time enjoyed them a lot more. I don't care at all that it seems to be uncool now to like these books, I really enjoyed them. By the way Suzanne, Stephenie knows how to end a book correctly, with a super happy, better than reality ending. I'm personally looking to books as an escape, and they don't provide much escape if the ending isn't as described above.

9.) The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
10.) Maid to Match by Deeanne Gist
11.) Sixteen Brides by Stephanie Grace Witson
12.) The House by Danielle Steel
13.) Darkness Visible: A Memoir of Madness by William Styron

+6 books that will remain nameless due to the fact they were basically smut so I'm a little embarrassed. :)

Jan 2015 update:
So that is 19 books total for the year. That is nowhere near the 100 I aimed for BUT it is 19 more than I had read in 2013 so I am proud of myself! In 2015 I'll try again and hopefully get closer than 2014. I have greatly enjoyed getting back to reading and am excited to read even more in the next year!

1 comment:

fredamans said...

Thank you for joining in the challenge. I have decided there will be small surprises along the way.
Best of luck on the challenge!